Thursday, August 26, 2004

Da Jibra'eel Wazar

The Wings of Gabriel

What was the basic concept behind this lyrical poem? The angel Gabriel holds a high place among angels in Islam. When he used to step on earth, grass used to sprout in the place where he set foot. The dust from his wings brought things to life (if I'm not wrong). In short, the poem is about a person who is asking his/her beloved if there's anything which would bring them closer to each other. It's a piece that I haven't completed and now I know that I won't ever be able to complete it. It's in my native language of Pushto and since it's a lyric so I have not given much thought to rhyme and meter. So you could say it's more like a Pushto free verse, if I may be allowed the liberty.

Da Jibra'eel Wazar

Che ta bande gran she
Dase kas ba charta we
Da Jibraeel wazar ba charta we

Da khomaro stargo yo nazar
O sta khamoshi ba charta we
Da Jibraeel wazar ba charta we

Friday, June 20, 2003

No comments: